Humans love giving their furry friends a taste of whatever they’re eating, but in some cases, it’s just not good for them! So, which foods are okay for Fido and which ones are not? At Beanietoes, we’re on the case, and in today’s article, we’ll be talking about… jelly!
So, can dogs eat jelly?
Not recommended. Jelly is very high in sugar, and giving your dog something like this on the regular is not good for them. Excessive amounts of sugar can lead to inflammation and even diabetes in dogs.
However, there could be an even greater danger here. That’s because grape toxicity is a serious problem for dogs! Consumption of this fruit can actually cause acute kidney failure, and for this reason you should never feed grape jelly or jam to them for their safety.
While grapes are a no-no, other fruits commonly found in jellies could be perfectly okay. So, while they aren’t the best thing to give your dog for health reasons, it won’t harm them. This could include strawberry jams or jellies, blueberry jam, peach jam, or other non-grape varities.
What should I give my dog instead of jelly?
While jelly is a no-go for your pooch, there are plenty other fruity treats that you can give them! In fact, many fresh fruits and veggies are even healthy for dogs, and giving these to your pup for a snack is a much better option which you should consider.
- Blue berries
- sweet potatoes
Should my dog go to the vet if they’ve eaten grape jelly??
It can actually take a rather small amount of grapes for a dog to experience the symptoms of grape toxicity. Grape toxicity in dogs is still not really understood, so it’s hard to say exactly how much they have to eat for it to be dangerous. If you’ve accidentally fed grape jelly, grapes, or raisins to your dog, or they’ve gotten into the trash and eaten them, it’s best to call the vet.
As far as symptoms go, you might notice vomiting, diarrhea, heavy panting, dry nose or mouth, or perhaps discoloration on their gums. If your dog experiences any odd behavioral changes though, you should head to the vet to make sure that they’re safe.