Not a fan of chemicals in your home? Try this homemade citrus spray to stop your cats from scratching furniture! It’s easy to make and you probably already have all of the ingredients in your pantry.
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 10-15 drops of essential oil (choose from eucalyptus, lavender, peppermint, or citrus)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a spray bottle and shake well to mix.
- Spray the solution on the areas where your cat is scratching your furniture. Be sure to test the spray on a small area first to make sure it doesn’t damage the furniture.
- Repeat the process every few days or as needed.
Why this spray works:
Apple cider vinegar and lemon juice are natural deterrents for cats. Cats don’t like the smell of these ingredients and will avoid the areas where the spray has been applied. The essential oils not only add a pleasant scent to the spray but also act as an additional deterrent. Eucalyptus, lavender, peppermint, and citrus oils are all known for their ability to repel cats.
- Be sure to use a spray bottle that is labeled for use with essential oils.
- If your cat continues to scratch your furniture despite the spray, try providing them with an alternative scratching surface, such as a scratching post or board.
- Make sure your cat has plenty of toys to play with and set aside some time each day to play with them.
- Remember to always praise and reward your cat for good behavior.
In conclusion, this homemade citrus spray for cats is an effective and natural solution to prevent your cat from scratching your furniture. By using this spray and providing your cat with alternative scratching surfaces, you can train them to scratch in the appropriate areas and preserve the integrity of your furniture.